Cherry Almond Bread
Time: 1 1/2 hours
Makes: 1 loaf
3 cups flour
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar
¼ cup butter or margarine, softened
2 large eggs lightly beaten
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 ½ cups Meduri Farms Dried Sour Cherries, coarsely chopped
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, 1 cup almonds, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar and butter.
- Add eggs and stir to combine well.
- Stir in buttermilk and almond extract.
- Add flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- Gently stir in cherries.
- Spoon batter into a greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons almonds and 1 teaspoon sugar. Press lightly into dough.
- Bake on middle rack in preheated oven for 60–70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean.
- Cool loaf on a rack for 10 minutes; loosen edges with a knife and turn out onto rack to cool completely.